Sunday 24 February 2013

The end of my residency at Chhaap Printmaking Studios


Day 24 and 25. The Final Days

To round up my time here at Chhaap Printmaking Studios I had an exhibition of all the work I have produced over the last month, (Sunday 24th Feb 2013). It was lovely to get some great feedback and lots of intrigue. More photos will be coming soon.




Monday morning, 25th February, saw me taking down my prints and carefully wrapping them up to be transported all the way back to the UK. Now I have around 13 more days until I also pack my little rucksack and board my plane home on March 10th.

Coming to India has been an incredible experience for me. Being artist in residence, after three months of travelling from the North to the South of this hugely diverse country, was the perfect way for me to reflect on all the experiences I’ve had and infuse them into my work. Many of my prints depict tranquil places from my travels across India and the process of printing often felt like a meditation itself. They are a narrative of my journey.

The places I have illustrated in my prints include Arambol in Goa, Alleppy and Varkala in Kerala, Ranthambore in Rajasthan, Darjeeling, Agra in Uttar Pradesh and the Himalayan mountains in Nepal, where I started my journey.

After so much travelling on buses, trains and planes it was lovely to stop and stay at Chhaap studios and feel more like a resident rather than a tourist. Baroda, a hub of creativity, has filled me with inspiration from seeing so many studios and exhibitions and meeting so many artists. It was the perfect place for me to round up my trip.... but I have a feeling this isn’t the last I will be seeing of India.